Modifications After Divorce

If you and your ex-spouse agree to change the terms of a court order (Temporary Support Order, Final Decree, or any other type of order), it can only be implemented if the new order is filed with the court.

If your spouse says, “You don’t have to pay support for the next year if you will take the children to Disneyland this summer or pay for private school,” you must get it in writing and entered in court for it to be binding on your spouse and to protect you from contempt. If you need to change support, you must petition the court for a change if it has jurisdiction. If you show a change of circumstances, then the court may modify those provisions.

Under Ohio State law, child custody and child support issues can be modified in any case where there has been a substantial change in circumstances and the court needs to modify its -previous order in the best interests of the child. The following are just a few examples of substantial changes in circumstances warranting a change in the child custody arrangement: a parent’s medical problem or disability, a special need on the part of the child, such as an education or a medical problem, a parent’s addiction to alcohol or drugs, a parent’s failure to exercise parenting time with the child, a parent’s failure to pay child support, a developmental change in the child that indicates a need to change the custody and parenting time/visitation arrangements, and/or a parent’s relocation out of the geographic area.

Questions about modifying or changing documentation after your divorce?
Our attorneys can help you through the process, contact us today for more info.